Karate Contractions

I was supposed to make the apostrophe into a character and have him knocking out the letters to form these three contractions.  I decided to make it a karate character so he could use karate moves.  Kids like karate.  The only thing I’m a little iffy on is making the character white.  I made him fully white because a karate gee is all white.  I actually tried drawing it in a bit more detail so that the shirt was fully defined, but that just didn’t look right.  When I colored the “skin” of the apostrophe, it looked even worse.  So, I decided all-white without much detail looked best.  The black belt is the important bit, I think.

Karate Contractions

These are for a textbook project for Hart Mcleod.

Poets

Here’s the finished version of an illustration for Hart Mcleod.

Poets
The original discription wanted a poet breaking up and reattaching words to make new words.  Specifically January + August = Januaugust and October + September = Octember.  Several suggestions on how to do this were given, including making the words into logs that are being cut apart with a saw and nailed together with a hammer.

I chose this interpretation because two poets allowed me to show both the sawing and nailing in one image instead of two panels.  It showed that both boys and girls can be poets.  It showed a girl using a hand tool, which is always a good thing in my view.  They’re beatniks because it’s about the closest thing to a poet’s uniform I could think of.  If they’d been older, I would have given the boy the stereotypical beatnik goatee, but I wanted them to be kids, so I couldn’t.

The colors came from the sample layout that went along with the assignment.  Not exactly the colors I’d have chosen, but they should go well with the final pages.  I haven’t run a test print yet, so the colors may be off a bit.

I think it turned out pretty well.  This is the most complex of the images in this project.

Silly Thesaurus Page – Rough

I’m working on a project for a text book publisher right now.  One of the images they had me do was supposed to be a set of specific words on a thesaurus page that were trying to get off the page.  I just heard that they decided to cut this particular image for space reasons, so they don’t need the final.  I thought I’d share the rough with you, since I don’t have much else to do with it at this point.

9_1 Rough cropped 500

Had I finished it, the lines would be nice and neat and dark, and the cartoon words would be colored.

There are several other images they do still want me to finish and I will get paid for the work I did on this one.